In my life, I have been able to have a unique and wonderful experience that most of my friends haven't had. I have a sister with Down Syndrome. And her 28th birthday is today. :)
She is the light in our family. She is the joy in my life. She is my sister whom I love with all my heart.
For those who knew Mary, she was a talkative and friendly person when she was in high school and also a couple years post high. She loved to smile and laugh and say, "Get a life!" However, after her post-high school program stopped, she stopped talking to us. The smiles faded and the laughs got quieter. We don't know what caused this drastic change. It was as if she was a turtle who backed into it's shell and didn't ever come out again. For years, the only response we would get from her was "No". Sometimes we would just get blank stare. It was hard for me and my entire family.
Last summer Mary received an iPad2 from my brother's wife. Since then, Mary has been starting to talk again, smile, and laugh! She attends The Children of Hope Academy, a branch of the National Association of Child Development, which works with her specific needs for her to start communicating again. They suggested we get her an iPad because of the responses they have had so far with working with this technology. Being tight on money, we were not able to get one. This was a blessing when Samantha got it for us.
So far, with both the program and the iPad, Mary is progressing and communicating again with us! :)
I dream of the day when Mary is made whole again and will be able to talk with nothing hindering her abilities.
Mary has taught me a variety of different things. Patience. Love. Kindness. Friendliness. And so much more. She has been my example my whole life and still is. I love her so so so much. I can't imagine my life without her. :)
Happy Birthday Mary. I love you! :)
There's a light in her eyes that escapes you and me. From
the worries of life she will ever be free. Imperfect in form, but a
soul that is pure, her place in heaven is sure.
There's
a smile on her face, what's she thinking of now? Is she hearing a song
in the silence somehow? Though her voice in this life cannot sing a
tune, she has a song of her own.
I bow on my knees and thank God for sending Mary to teach me of love. A blessing of rare and infinite worth, she's showing me what matters on Earth.
In a world that is hers, on small nimble feet, she whirls and she twirls to an unheard beat.
I bow on my knees and thank God for sending Mary to teach me of love. A blessing of rare and infinite worth, she's showing me what matters on Earth.
In a world that is hers, on small nimble feet, she whirls and she twirls to an unheard beat.
Dance Mary dance, Mary dance. Dance in your own way.
Song Written by Patricia Stone
Quote of the day! :)
"Having Down syndrome is like being born normal. I am
just like you and you are just like me. We are all born in different
ways, that is the way I can describe it. I have a normal life.
" -Chris Burke


Beautiful Jessica! Thank you!
ReplyDeleteMade me cry. I wish I had a sister to share this with. Beautiful poem too!
ReplyDeleteWow this is so good. I totally remember Mary in high school and how talkative she was!! She is such an amazing woman, thank you for posting this. For some reason every March 8 I remember it's Mary's birthday and wonder how she is doing. Your family is incredible!! Love you all!!
ReplyDelete