I got a new job!
I came out to DC and found a job as a nanny mostly to tie me over until I found something I'd kinda like to do more long-term.
Well - I found something! I got the call just last week!!
I'll be working with Melwood - a nonprofit organization. I will be a program specialist, working with adults with disabilities and leading vocational, educational, and recreational classes so that they can learn skill sets that can help them progress in life and help them receive jobs!
I am super excited for this new opportunity to work here and with these individuals!
My job search process:
A couple weeks ago, the family I nannied for had told me that the mom was quitting her job, so they wouldn't be needing me anymore. So I had to do a bit of searching - mostly soul searching for what I wanted to do in life.
Teaching anatomy sounded neat, so I applied for substitute teaching. Personal Training would be cool, so I applied to be a PT. It'd be so rewarding if I could get my foot into a non-profit and start working with that line of work. These were the jobs I started looking at as I tried to figure out something I would really love to do.
I applied for many many jobs. During my first week of interviews, I found a job with Melwood - a non-profit - working with adults with disabilities. THAT sounded AMAZING and I wanted it.
I was offered the job with personal training, and substitute teaching. All before even my first interview with Melwood for the program specialist position. I was conflicted. Personal training would be so cool! But I still wanted the Melwood job more. I wasn't even sure if I could get it!
However, I put my faith and trust in my Heavenly Father and declined the Personal Training job, in order to be able to go for the job at Melwood. I had my first interview the week after declining PT. Melwood called me back at the end of that week asking me to come in for a second interview, this time situational (I would be put into the classes in order to lead the class and get to know participants).
I was beyond nervous. I wanted this job. SO. FREAKING. BAD.
I don't know if I've ever wanted a job so much!
A couple days later, I received a call with the most wonderful news - I got the job at Melwood!!! And I attribute it all to my Heavenly Father. There's no way I could've done it without Him. He has prepared me pretty much my whole life for this type of job, having a sister with Down syndrome. And then He helped me through my interviews! I feel extremely blessed and grateful!
So here I go! I'm staying in DC for a while, with a job that I am sure I am going to love so much!
This is so awesome Jessica!! Congrats on the new job! It seriously sounds perfect :D I'm so excited for you!!
ReplyDelete