Sunday, October 7, 2012

Called to Serve

October 5th I turned 20.  What?  20!?  I'm OLD! ;)
My birthday was great! I went to Math class, went to work (my co-workers surprised me with a big box of doughnuts while I was washing dishes!  They started singing and had this box of doughnuts with candles in it! It was so nice! :)
(I have a picture, but don't know how to get it off my phone at the moment...)
And then my friends treated me by taking me to the BYU Womens Soccer Game! :) She was holding up a grand sign for me to find her:) I love these two!
 
Then I watched a movie with my roommate! :)
The next day, I received the best birthday present ever.  While watching the morning session of General Conference, amazing news was announced!
"I am pleased to announce that effective immediately all and able young men...will have the opportunity of being recommended for missionary service beginning at the age of 18, instead of the age 19.
*Loren (my brother) then says, "I wonder if they changed it for the women too?"*
"As we prayerfully pondered the age at which young men may begin their missionary service we have also given consideration to the age at which young women might serve.
*This is where the tears start falling freely from my eyes...*
"Today, I'm pleased to announce that able, worthy young women who have the deseire to serve may be recommended for missionary service beginning at age 19 instead of age 21.
*I'm crying hard core by this point!*
"We affirm that missionary work is a priesthood duty, and we encourage all young men who are worthy and physically able and mentally capable to respond to the call to serve.  Many young women also serve but are not under the same mandate to serve as are the young men.  We assure the young sisters of the Church, however, that they make a valuable attribution as missionaries and we welcome their service." -President Thomas S. Monson
This is an answer to my prayers.  I have waited for many many years for this day to come when it was my time to serve, and it came.  Yesterday morning!  I am filled with immense measures of joy.
My best friend. After years of waiting, we can finally go!!! We are both starting our papers today! :)
I am starting my papers today.
I am ready to serve my Lord!

1 comment:

  1. The Lord needs you all now and I am excited to see what the future has in store because of wonderful dedicated young men and women like you! Love & prayers as you start this new exciting journey!
    Sister 10*e :)

    ReplyDelete